What is VPN – Know All About VPN
VPN technology markets are growing enormously nowadays both in terms of market value and user base. VPNs are becoming the safe haven for people looking to access the internet securely while maintaining their privacy at the same time. Want to know all about VPN technologies? Go no further as we have put together a comprehensive guide to VPNs.
Check : Best 5 VPN
What is VPN?
VPN, or virtual private network, is a private network connection that can help you privately access across a public network connection while ensuring you anonymity and security. It can allow you to surf restricted and censored websites privately by overcoming their security blocks.
Types of VPN
Based on functionalities and usage, There are broadly three types of VPNs – Remote Access VPN, intranet site-to-site VPN and extranet site-to-site VPN.
Remote Access VPN is used both by business users and private users to connect to a VPN network and access its services and resources remotely. A Site-to-Site or Router-to-Router VPN is used by corporations with branches in different geographical locations to connect the network of one office to another at different locations. In intranet site-to-site, multiple offices of the same company are connected using Site-to-Site VPN type while in Extranet site-to-site, offices of different companies can connect to each other.
What is VPN used for
Using a VPN you can access various features such as accessing public Wi-Fi safely, streaming restricted content due to geolocation, accessing blocked and censored websites etc. Let’s know some of these in details –
- Accessing public wifi
While there are a few different ways to shield yourself from the dangers of public Wi-Fi, utilizing a VPN can come in handy here. You can use VPN to scramble your Internet association to secure it and ensure your protection. While interfacing with a VPN, nobody – not the ISP,, the business/network proprietor nor any outsider programmer or sneak – can see the data you send over the organization. When utilizing Wi-Fi with a VPN your protection and security is ensured consistently.
- Avoiding trackers
Utilizing a VPN can help secure your information with any ISP by protecting your data and privacy from VPN. Your Internet Service Provider can see essentially all that you do on the web. They can follow the sites you visit, the applications you use, and the private data you send. How they manage this data is up to them, however on the off chance that you run your association through VPN to make your data inaccessible to your ISP.
- Avoiding censorship
For residents of those nations where mainstream social media and sites are banned or censored, VPN is an amazing way to evade these systems, and it is legal in many countries. Additionally, while those living in these nations can access many useful websites and content from outside sources.
What are VPN protocols
A VPN protocol is a combination of encryption standards and transmission protocols for ensuring a secure and fast connection to the VPN server by the user. The most used VPN protocol is OpenVPN which is an open-source protocol, which means its source code is available for anyone to verify. Another widely known and the oldest protocol is Point-to-Point Tunneling Protocol (PPTP) which is mainly used to access free VPN services and is much less secure. Let’s take a look at some of these briefly: Web Protocol Security (IPSec):
- IPSec – Web Protocol Security, known as IPSec, is utilized to get IP addresses of any organization. IPSec gets Internet Protocol correspondence by checking the meeting and scrambles every information bundle during the association. It runs in two modes – transport and tunneling.
- Layer 2 Tunneling Protocol (L2TP): L2TP or Layer 2 Tunneling Protocol is frequently joined with another VPN security convention like IPSec to build up a profoundly secure VPN association. L2TP creates a passage and encodes the information and keeps up secure correspondence between the passage.
- SSL and TLS: SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) and TLS (Transport Layer Security) create a VPN association where the internet browser goes about as the customer and client access is precluded to explicit applications rather than the whole organization. Web based shopping sites ordinarily utilizes SSL and TLS convention. SSL associations have “https” in the underlying URL rather than “http”.
- Secure Shell (SSH): Secure Shell or SSH produces the VPN tunnel through which the information move happens and furthermore guarantees that the passage is encoded. SSH associations are produced by a SSH customer and information is moved from a nearby port on to the far off worker.
- OpenVPN: OpenVPN is an open source VPN that is normally utilized for making Point-to-Point and Site-to-Site associations. It utilizes a conventional security convention dependent on SSL and TLS convention.
How to access a VPN?
Accessing VPN servers is as easy as it can be nowadays. You can start by installing Access Server on the network, and then proceed accordingly to the VPN you chose. For connecting through a desktop, go to the network settings of your system and locate the VPN option.You can choose the name of your VPN service provider and enter your connection details.
Best VPN providers
Some of the prominent VPN provider names in today’s time are – ExpressVPN, NordVPN, TunnelBear, CyberGhost, StrongVPN etc.
Get started with VPN
A VPN association sets up a protected connection among you and the web. By means of the VPN, all your information traffic is steered through a tunneled virtual passage. This camouflages your IP address when you utilize the web, making its area imperceptible to everybody. A VPN association is additionally secure against outside assaults. That is on the grounds that no one but you can get to the information in the encoded burrow – and no one else can on the grounds that they don’t have the key. There are currently numerous suppliers of VPN associations for cell phones and computers which keep portable information traffic safe.You can keep your information traffic on the web anonymous and safe by utilizing a VPN. The VPN association can also sometimes offer to shield you from hackers, Trojans horses, viruses or other malware.